Author: Philip O'Hara President & CEO Directory One, Inc. A. Full Internet Protocol (IP) Addresses and Hosting B. Keyword Rich Domain Names, What-I Sell-And-Where-I-Sell-It.com (http://seolouisville.com/) C. URL Extensions (http://www.directoryone.com/search_engine_optimization.htm) D. Directory Structure The...
SEO Content Writer
Are you having a difficult time getting others to link to your content? Does it seem like no matter how well you write, no one is paying attention to you? You’re not alone. One of the most common complaints from internet marketers is that generating backlinks is a seemingly impossible task in some cases.
While there are literally hundreds of different approaches you can take to create linkbait, here is a list of 5 common ways to generate more backlinks.
1. Controversy- This is sometimes referred to as “flamebait.” The general idea behind this is that having a controversial opinion on a popular topic in your industry will generate tons of online publicity for your company. Of course, this begs the question: should I be controversial just to get links? I don’t think you should ever say something you don’t mean just for the sake of getting links because you do have a reputation to uphold. However, there is nothing wrong with questioning popular opinions in your industry if you can back up your position with solid reasoning.
2. Breaking a Story- In today’s 24/7 internet world, this is almost impossible. There is always someone else who gets to a story just before you do. However, it’s not worth discounting this technique altogether. You never know when you’ll stumble across a breaking story by keeping in contact with other important figures in your industry.
3. In-Depth Analysis- Since you probably won’t be able to consistently break important stories, another thing you can do is give deeper analysis than anyone else. By going beneath the surface with detailed insight not found anywhere else, people will link to your content as the authority for a particular topic.
4. Tools- By creating a unique tool others find useful, you’ll have a potentially endless supply of inbound links. The best tools keep users coming back because they offer a valuable service. A recent example of this is the SEOmoz linkscape tool that allows users to get the most in-depth analysis of their site’s backlinks. If you build it, they will come (cheesy, I know.)
5. Contests- While some people see running a contest as gimmicky, I disagree. If you come up with a contest that requires the participation of your users, it has a great chance of taking off. People love to compete with others; especially when there is something of value on the line. More importantly, they love telling others about the contest and linking to it.