Accessing Your Website Using WS_FTP
Please keep in mind if you plan to update your website using WS_FTP, you will first need to download a fresh copy of your website to ensure it's an up-to-date copy. This is especially important to our search engine optimization customers. Directions are below.
1. Open WS_FTP and click the "connect" button in the lower left-hand corner if the Session Properties screen doesn't open.
2. Click the "New" button and fill in the blanks as follows:
(See example picture below)
Profile Name: name of your website
Host Name/Address: www.nameofyoursite.com
Host Type: leave at Automatic Detect
User Id: email@example.com
Password: Whatever your password is.
Check the "Save Pwd" box and leave everything else blank. Then, hit the "ok" button and your website will begin to load.
If you don't know your username or password you can call Directory One to find out.
3. Double-click the "mainwebsite_html" file on the right side of the screen to open it. The left side of your screen is the files in your computer on the C:/ drive.
4. Now you can view the folder and file contents of your website on the right side of the screen.
5. To navigate through the file structure on either side of the screen you can use the green arrows at the top of each column of the files.
6. To download your whole website highlight the first file on the right side of the screen by clicking on it. Then hold down the "Shift" button on your keyboard and click the last file in the column (be sure to be holding down the shift button while you click the last file or it won't work). Now, all of your files are selected.
7. WS_FTP opens default C:\Program Files\WS_FTP on the left side of the screen. In between the left and right side of the screen there are 2 arrows. One arrow points to the left and the other arrow points to the right. Now just click the top arrow pointing to the left and your site will download to the file on your hard drive you have open. The bigger the site is the longer it will take to download. To close the website on the right just click the "close" button in the lower left-hand side of the page.